Thursday, March 27, 2014

Test Shooting the 2014 Prime Alloy and Impact.



Yesterday I took the day off from going to the gym as I wanted to head over to my local archery shop Archery Outpost. I had a few issues with my bow that I wanted to get looked at. I had thought my rest release cable was sliding up, causing my rest to not drop as quickly as it should. Once Conner watched a few shots he informed me that it was not my rest, but my nocking point was to low. He took it back and into the bow vice it went. Re-set the nocking point, dialed it in through paper and it was shooting bullet holes. (My next project is to make a DIY paper tuner.) Back out to the range I was shooting low. I had to turn my single pin to 36 yards to hit at 20 yards. Now I will have to re-set my sight tape, another project.

After I shot 100 arrows with my bow I wanted to try a few new bows. I am thinking about getting a new bow before my trip to Colorado this year. I shot 2 of Prime's new bows for 2014. The Impact and The Alloy.

 IMPACT

 
  • IBO (FPS): 340
  • AXLE TO AXLE (IN): 35"
  • BRACE HEIGHT: 6.25"
  • MASS WEIGHT (LBS): 4.5
  • DRAW LENGTH: 26" - 30"
  • DRAW WEIGHT (LBS): 50, 60, 70
Drew from Archery Outpost let me shoot his Impact. He was dialing it in for an upcoming competition. We have the same draw length and draw weight. His bow is not stock off the shelf let me tell you. He had all the stabilizers, magnified sight and vibration dampening. As I shot it there was zero after shot vibration. He had change his set up so there was no valley which was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was really impressed after shooting this bow. It is a little long at 35" ATA but shoots really fast at 60 pounds. I really want to see what it can do at 70 pounds.

ALLOY

  • IBO (FPS): 335
  • AXLE TO AXLE (IN): 33.25"
  • BRACE HEIGHT: 6.75"
  • MASS WEIGHT (LBS): 4.2
  • DRAW LENGTH: 26" - 30"
  • DRAW WEIGHT (LBS): 50, 60, 70
The Alloy was just off the shelf. No stabilizer or sight, just a rest. I really liked this bow. Even without all the bells and whistles, this bow was smooth. The draw was smooth and transitioned to the valley very easy.  The Alloy seemed to want to drive the arrows to the target. This bow was set as a shop demo so it was set at about 50 pounds. This bow felt great in my hands and was very well balanced with just the display hook. This is a big ranking contender for my 2014 hunting bow.

I went back to my bow for 5-6 more ends and it felt great. I am not sure what I want to do this year. I know I am going to venture to a few other shops to try out the Elite, Hoyt and a few other manufactures this year before I do anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment